There is no better way for kids to have fun learning how to skate than with everybody’s favorite mascot: Sparty!
The Sparty Learn 2 Skate program features:
- Qualified skating instructors with the expertise needed to coach your child through the program’s six levels
- Level One starts with falling down & getting up, balancing on two feet, turning on the spot, and skating forwards (walking)
- Level Six progresses all the way to two-foot side stops and crossovers
- See below for a full breakdown of the program’s levels.
- Children will have the opportunity to skate with their friend Spartacat. He will visit the class once per season to demonstrate drills, assist participants, and, most of all, have fun!
- Each participant will receive a Sparty Certificate at the completion of the session to celebrate the new skills that they have learned.
- A 12-week session with 50 minutes per class (plus an off-ice warm up).
- PLEASE NOTE: Parents do not go on the ice with the children.
- PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS IT IS REQUIRED THAT PARTICIPANTS ARE ABLE TO GET UP ON THEIR OWN
Please see the dates and time for all groups listed below.
- 12 Week Program
- 50 minute class
- Ages 3 to 8 years old
- Cost: $349
Please note that sessions at the Richcraft Sensplex are powered by the Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs and as such feature Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs instructors (vs. “Skating only” instructors) helping with the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program.
Program Dates and Times
- Monday, September 14, 21, 28, October 5, 19, 26, November 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, December 7
- Please note there will be no session on October 12
- Sunday, September 13, 20, 27, October 4, 18, 25, November 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, December 6
- Please note due to Thanksgiving there will be no session on Sunday October 11
PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS IT IS REQUIRED THAT PARTICIPANTS ARE ABLE TO GET UP ON THEIR OWN
If your child is finishing up with our current learn to skate program or a similar program elsewhere, it’s time to think about moving them to the next level. There are six levels to achieve in the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program. These levels are outlined below. Once a child graduates from, or reaches the upper levels of the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program, they are encouraged to take the next step which is to join the Ottawa Senators Intro 2 Hockey Program, which takes place at the Bell Sensplex & Richcraft Sensplex. The Intro 2 Hockey program is quite simply the best way to introduce little ones to the world’s greatest game!
Note: Parents register based on time slots only, not by level. Each session is further divided up by level.
Please call (613) 599-0222 to register by phone.
SPARTY LEARN TO SKATE LEVELS
- Falling down
- Getting up
- Balancing on two feet
- Turning on the spot
- Skating forwards (walking)
- Forward 2 foot glide
- Forward sculling (bubbles)
- Forward sliding touching toes
- Backward skating (walking)
- Forward stopping (snowplow, 1/2 snowplow)
- Backward sculling (bubbles)
- 2 foot turn, forward to backwards
- Forward 1 foot glide (both feet)
- Backward stopping (snowplow, 1/2 snowplow)
- Skating forwards – 2 foot jump
- 5 consecutive crossovers
- 2 foot glide to 1 foot
- 2 foot jump (forward-backward & backward-forward)
- Backward skating
- Forward to backward skating on circle
- Back crossovers (walking)
- 5 consecutive crossovers
- Forward to backward sculling
- 2 foot jump (forward – back & back to forward)
- 2 foot turning on a curve
- 2 foot side stop both ways
- Slalom forward and backward
- Backward gliding on curve (1 foot)
- Inside edges forward
- Consecutive back crossovers
- CSA approved helmet with full cage is mandatory
- Gloves are mandatory
- Long pants and long sleeves are mandatory
- Athletic pants are recommended *Please note, most new skaters tend to fall down multiple times, it is suggested to use older athletic jacket/pants incase they get wornout or dirty.
Refund Policy: Read our Refund & Cancellation Policy.
Registration Link: Click here to register for the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program!
RESPONSE TO COVID-19
As a result of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, the Sensplex facilities have instituted specific COVID-19 protocols to be followed by all participants and spectators.
Please click here to see a list of new protocols.