There is no better way for kids to have fun learning how to skate than with everybody’s favorite mascot: Sparty!
The Sparty Learn 2 Skate program features:
- Qualified skating instructors with the expertise needed to coach your child through the program’s six levels
- Level One starts with falling down & getting up, balancing on two feet, turning on the spot, and skating forwards (walking)
- Level Six progresses all the way to two-foot side stops and crossovers
- See below for a full breakdown of the program’s levels.
- Children will have the opportunity to skate with their friend Spartacat. He will visit the class once per season to demonstrate drills, assist participants, and, most of all, have fun.
- Each participant will receive a Sparty Certificate at the completion of the session to celebrate the new skills that they have learned.
- 50 minutes of on-ice instruction per class, with 12 weeks of fun!
- PLEASE NOTE: Parents do not go on the ice with the children.
This program is intended for beginner skaters between the ages of 3-8 years old. Please see the dates and time for all groups listed below.
Please note that sessions at the Richcraft Sensplex are powered by the Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs and as such feature Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs instructors (vs. “Skating only” instructors) helping with the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program.
Is the program you are looking for full? Join our Senators Hockey Program Waitlist
The Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs are excited to announce a special OSHP Senators ticket rate for all our fall program participants! By registering for any of our 4, 10 or 12-week fall programs you’ll have the ability to add either 2 or 4 tickets to an Ottawa Senators home game this fall at our special OSHP rate.
NOTE: Tickets are optional and at an additional cost and will be for tier 4 games in October & December. Single session drop-in participants are not eligible. For more information on the ticket options, please click here!
Program Dates and Times
- Monday (12-WEEKS) Sept 25, Oct 2, 16, 23, 30, Nov 6, 13, 20, 27, Dec 4, 11, 18
- Saturday (12-WEEKS) Sept 16, 23, 30, Oct 14, 21, 28, Nov 4*, 11, 25*, Dec 2, 9, 16
*Please note- The Nov 4th session will start at 2:15pm, 3:15pm, and 4:15pm
*Please note- The Nov 25th session will begin at 1:15pm, 2:15pm, and 3:15pm
- Saturday (12-WEEKS) Sept 30, Oct 7, 14, 21, 28, Nov 4, 11, 18, 25, Dec 2, 9, 16
If your child is finishing up with our current learn to skate program or a similar program elsewhere, it’s time to think about moving them to the next level. There are six levels to achieve in the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program. These levels are outlined below. Once a child graduates from, or reaches the upper levels of the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program, they are encouraged to take the next step which is to join the Ottawa Senators Intro 2 Hockey Program, which takes place at the Bell Sensplex & Richcraft Sensplex. The Intro 2 Hockey program is quite simply the best way to introduce little ones to the world’s greatest game!
Note: Parents register based on time slots only, not by level. Each session is further divided up by level.
Please call (613) 599-0222 to register by phone.
SPARTY LEARN TO SKATE LEVELS
- Falling down
- Getting up
- Balancing on two feet
- Turning on the spot
- Skating forwards (walking)
- Forward 2 foot glide
- Forward sculling (bubbles)
- Forward sliding touching toes
- Backward skating (walking)
- Forward stopping (snowplow, 1/2 snowplow)
- Backward sculling (bubbles)
- 2 foot turn, forward to backwards
- Forward 1 foot glide (both feet)
- Backward stopping (snowplow, 1/2 snowplow)
- Skating forwards – 2 foot jump
- 5 consecutive crossovers
- 2 foot glide to 1 foot
- 2 foot jump (forward-backward & backward-forward)
- Backward skating
- Forward to backward skating on circle
- Back crossovers (walking)
- 5 consecutive crossovers
- Forward to backward sculling
- 2 foot jump (forward – back & back to forward)
- 2 foot turning on a curve
- 2 foot side stop both ways
- Slalom forward and backward
- Backward gliding on curve (1 foot)
- Inside edges forward
- Consecutive back crossovers
- CSA approved helmet with full cage is mandatory
- Gloves are mandatory
- Long pants and long sleeves are mandatory
- Athletic pants are recommended *Please note, most new skaters tend to fall down multiple times, it is suggested to use older athletic jacket/pants incase they get wornout or dirty.
Refund Policy: Read our Refund & Cancellation Policy.