Returning for its second season after a successful debut in 2020, we are excited to host the 2021 Sensplex Spring AAA League – Season #2, which will provide local competitive hockey players a great chance to play in competitive games.
The framework for this league was built carefully after considering COVID-19 best practices, and liaising with competitive hockey parents, and coaches from our region; all with the goal of coming up with a plan that meets the needs of public health and safety, AND that gets kids on the ice.
- Games will be played on weekends in July. The league weekends are currently scheduled to be July 9-11, 16-18, & 23-25. Unlike season 1, teams will not receive a bye weekend, as the league is only three weeks in duration.
- Teams will play a combined total of 12 games, concluding with a league championship weekend. Teams will play four games per weekend.
- Divisions targeted will be: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2003-05, with girls divisions specifically targeted for 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.
- Games will be played 5-on-5 + goalie on full ice for all divisions, with the exception of 2014 which will be played 3-on-3 + goalie on modified half ice.
- Body checking will not be permitted at any level. At Boys U13 and above, league management reserves the right to institute body checking, should government regulations allow. This will only be done with the acceptance of this rule of the majority of teams in the division.
- Rosters are limited to a maximum of 11 players (skaters and goalies combined). Rosters may not be altered at any point during the season. If players are forced to miss game(s), they may not be replaced by anyone other than those on your original league roster. For this reason, we recommend having at least 10 players on your roster (including any substitutes who may be needed). Teams from the host association (Senators Spring Hockey Development) will not be subject to the maximum roster size of 11 players.
- In relation to the point above, should COVID-19 restrictions around maximum league size (currently maximum 50 players) change, then maximum roster size will expand to 15 skaters and 2 goalies per team.
- The total number of teams in any division will be determined prior to the start of the season, taking into account current COVID-19 rules and regulations. Divisions may run with as few as three teams.
- The total cost to participate in this league will be $3,100 per team (all-inclusive).
- A maximum of two coaches and a minimum of one certified trainer must be on each bench. At least one certified coach must provide an NCCP Coaching Number on their application and be present for all games.
- Proof of team insurance must be provided electronically before each team’s first game.
- All games will be played at one of our three premium Sensplex facilities (Bell, Cavanagh, Richcraft)
- Championship teams will receive prizing.
Provincial Government Regulations Regarding Leagues:
The following is an excerpt from the provincial government’s rules about organized team sports. This league will be conducted in accordance with these rules:
Organized team sports that are practised or played by players in a league may only be practised or played within the facility if the league either,
i. contains no more than 50 players and does not permit its teams to play against teams outside of the league, or
ii. divides its teams into groups of 50 or fewer players and does not permit teams in different groups to play against one another or against teams outside of the league.
Game Format and Rules:
A final list of detailed rules will be published well in advance of the start of the season, and rule modifications may be in place to ensure the league is played as safely as possible, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. As it currently stands, we are plan on using the following rules
- Games will be played in hour-long ice blocks and feature almost 50 minutes of uninterrupted game play.
- Games will be played on full ice, with the exception of the 2014 division, which will be played on a modified half-ice format.
- Games will be played 5-on-5 + a goalie, with the exception of the 2014 division, which will be played 3-on-3 + a goalie.
Questions – send an email to [email protected] or give us a call at 613-599-0227.