Returning for its second season after a successful debut in 2020, we are excited to host the 2021 Sensplex Spring AAA League – Season #1, which will provide local competitive hockey players a great chance to play in competitive games.
The framework for this league was built carefully after consultation with government officials, competitive hockey parents, and coaches from our region; all with the goal of coming up with a plan that meets the needs of public health and safety, AND that gets kids on the ice.
- League games will be played over the course of four weekends in April and early May. The weekends are: Apr 16-18, Apr 23-25, Apr 30-May 2, and May 7-9. Teams will receive one bye weekend (weekend with no games), on one of the first three weekends. All teams will play on the championship weekend of May 7-9.
- Teams will play a combined total of 12 games, concluding with a league championship weekend. Teams will play four games per weekend.
- Divisions targeted will be: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2003-05, with girls divisions specifically targeted for 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.
- Games will be played 5-on-5 + goalie on full ice for all divisions, with the exception of 2014 which will be played 3-on-3 + goalie on modified half ice.
- Rosters are limited to a maximum of 11 players (skaters and goalies combined). Rosters may not be altered at any point during the season. Teams are not required to dress the maximum number of players per game; that is at the discretion of each team. If players are forced to miss game(s), they may not be replaced by anyone other than those on your original league roster. For this reason, we recommend having at least 10 players on your roster (including any substitutes who may be needed). Teams from the host association (Senators Spring Hockey Development) will not be subject to the maximum roster size of 11 players.
- At this point, we are planning on teams playing in divisions of no more than four teams, to ensure that the total number of players in each division does not exceed 50 (per government regulations). This means that space in this league will be extremely limited, and in high demand. Some divisions may operate with as few as three teams. Should the 50 person capacity be changed, divisions may be expanded.
- The total cost to participate in this league will be $3,100 per team (all-inclusive).
- A maximum of two coaches and a minimum of one certified trainer must be on each bench. At least one certified coach must provide an NCCP Coaching Number on their application and be present for all games.
- Proof of team insurance must be provided electronically before each team’s first game.
- All games will be played at one of our three premium Sensplex facilities (Bell, Cavanagh, Richcraft)
- Parents can watch two ways!
- One spectator per player will be allowed in the arena to watch games!
- For those who are not able to come into the facility, the Sensplex has come to an agreement with Hockey TV to pay for the broadcast costs on behalf of the community; enabling all games to be streamed LIVE or on-demand for parents to watch in their own homes or on their mobile devices anytime.
- Championship teams will receive prizing.
Game Format and Rules:
A final list of rules will be published well in advance of the start of the season, and rule modifications may be in place to ensure the league is played as safely as possible, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Some rules we are currently able to share are as follows:
- Games will be played in hour-long ice blocks and feature almost 50 minutes of uninterrupted game play.
- Games will be played on full ice, with the exception of the 2014 division, which will be played on a modified half-ice format.
- Games will be played 5-on-5 + a goalie, with the exception of the 2014 division, which will be played 3-on-3 + a goalie.
Questions – send an email to [email protected] or give us a call at 613-599-0227.