Sparty Learn 2 Skate
There is no better way for kids to have fun learning how to skate than with everybody's favorite mascot: Sparty!
The Sparty Learn 2 Skate program features:
- Qualified skating instructors with the expertise needed to coach your child through the program’s six levels
- Level One starts with falling down & getting up, balancing on two feet, turning on the spot, and skating forwards (walking)
- Level Six progresses all the way to two-foot side stops and crossovers
- See below for a full breakdown of the program's levels.
- Children will have the opportunity to skate with their friend Spartacat. He will visit the class once per season to demonstrate drills, assist participants, and, most of all, have fun!
- Each participant will receive a Sparty Certificate at the completion of the session to celebrate the new skills that they have learned.
- A 12-week session with 50 minutes per class (plus an off-ice warm up)
- PLEASE NOTE: Parents do not go on the ice with the children. For the Parent & Tot program, click here.
Please see the dates and time for all groups listed below.
- 12 Week Program
- 50 minute class (plus off-ice warmup)
- Ages 3 to 8 years old
- Cost: $239 - $304 (see below)
Monday, Wednesday & Saturday sessions will take place at Bell Sensplex (Kanata); Thursday and Saturday sessions will take place at Richcraft Sensplex (Gloucester).
Please note that sessions at the Richcraft Sensplex are powered by the Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs and as such feature Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs instructors (vs. "Skating only" instructors) helping with the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program.
Monday Afternoon @ 4:00 p.m. - $269 (12 weeks) - Register now
Monday Afternoon @ 5:00 p.m. - $304 (12 weeks) - SOLD OUT
9, 16, 23, 30, February 6, 13, 22**, 27, March 6, 20, 27, April 3
* Please note there are no classes February 20 or March 13.
** Please note that classes on February 20 are moved to Wednesday February 22.
Wednesday Afternoon @ 1:30 p.m. - $239 (12 weeks) - Register now
January 11, 18, 25, February 1, 10**, 15, 22, March 1, 8, 22, 29, April 5
* Please note there is no class March 15.
Saturday Afternoon @ 2:00 p.m. - $304 (12 weeks) - SOLD OUT
January 14, 21*, February 11, 18*, 25, March 4, 25*, April 1, 8, 15*, 22*, 29*
* Please note there are no classes February 4, March 11, 18.
* Class on March 25 begins at 1:00 PM.
* Class on April 15 begins at 2:15 PM.
* Class on April 22 begins at 1:15 PM.
* Class on April 29 begins at 3:00 PM.
Thursday @ 5:45 p.m. $284 (12 weeks) - SOLD OUT
January 12, 19, 26, February 2, 9, 16, 23, March 2, 9, 23, 30, April 6**
* Please note there is no class March 16.
** Class on April 6 begins at 5:15 PM.
Saturday @ 11:15 a.m. $284 (12 weeks) - SOLD OUT
January 14, 21, 28, February 4, 11, 18, 25, March 4, 11, 25, April 1, 8
*Please note there is no class March 18.
Registration and dates coming soon!
Email Kate Holzhuter at email@example.com for more information.
If your child is finishing up with our current learn to skate program or a similar program elsewhere, it's time to think about moving them to the next level. There are six levels to achieve in the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program. These levels are outlined below. Once a child graduates from, or reaches the upper levels of the Sparty Learn 2 Skate program, they are encouraged to take the next step which is to join the Ottawa Senators Intro 2 Hockey Program, which takes place at the Bell Sensplex & Richcraft Sensplex. The Intro 2 Hockey program is quite simply the best way to introduce little ones to the world's greatest game!
Note: Parents register based on time slots only, not by level. Each session is further divided up by level.
Please call (613) 599-0222 to register by phone.
Sparty Learn to Skate Levels
- Falling down
- Getting up
- Balancing on two feet
- Turning on the spot
- Skating forwards (walking)
- Forward 2 foot glide
- Forward sculling (bubbles)
- Forward sliding touching toes
- Backward skating (walking)
- Forward stopping (snowplow, 1/2 snowplow)
- Backward sculling (bubbles)
- 2 foot turn, forward to backwards
- Forward 1 foot glide (both feet)
- Backward stopping (snowplow, 1/2 snowplow)
- Skating forwards - 2 foot jump
- 5 consecutive crossovers
- 2 foot glide to 1 foot
- 2 foot jump (forward-backward & backward-forward)
- Backward skating
- Forward to backward skating on circle
- Back crossovers (walking)
- 5 consecutive crossovers
- Forward to backward sculling
- 2 foot jump (forward - back & back to forward)
- 2 foot turning on a curve
- 2 foot side stop both ways
- Slalom forward and backward
- Backward gliding on curve (1 foot)
- Inside edges forward
- Consecutive back crossovers
- CSA approved helmet with full cage is mandatory
- Gloves are mandatory
- Long pants and long sleeves are mandatory
- Athletic pants are recommended
Refund Policy: Read our Refund & Cancellation Policy.